Thursday, January 19, 2012

Arrogance Vs. Humility

The other day I sat beside a man on a plane who was working a crossword puzzle. Normally I would have paid no attention to him, but I noticed that he was doing this puzzle with a ballpoint pen.

Why would a person work a crossword puzzle with a pen making corrections impossible? At first I thought, "That man is confident he knows what he's doing." But, it didn't take long to see that I had overestimated his puzzle skills. He had made some errors and he was finding it difficult to change them.

When you are doing a crossword puzzle you use a pencil with a good eraser.

The same is true with life. It is a mistake to over promise, to make arrogant claims, to brag about your abilities, and to be unforgiving. It is like writing with a ballpoint pen. Humility is like a pencil with an eraser.

No comments:

Post a Comment