Thursday, August 18, 2011

Welcome to The Club

I met a man the other day who claimed his problems were the result of being from a dysfunctional family. He blamed all his personal problems on his parents.

I want to let you in on a secret: there are no dysfunctional families. I've been a pastor for many years; I've counseled thousands of folks, and I've never seen a fully functional family. All families are dysfunctional! Welcome to the club.

Happiness is not something you inherit from a functional family. It is how you choose to pick up the broken pieces of your past and make something out of them. Quit blaming your parents. Accept responsibility for your life and choose to make something out of it.

Here is the good news: childhood trauma does not have to doom you to a life of misery.

No comments:

Post a Comment