Thursday, December 1, 2011

Basic Questions of Life

The two most basic questions of life are: "Who am I?" and "How do I relate to others?"
It is interesting that our awareness of these two questions begins in infancy.

Babies first discover themselves. They explore themselves - their feet, their hands, their faces. They discover how to get attention and gratification. They wonder: "Who am I?"
Next, children find out they are not the whole of reality - that other beings are not an extension of themselves. Other people are distinct, separate from them, that no one sees or feels what they do. The question is: "How do I relate to others?"

The interesting thing is that most of us go on struggling with these two questions our entire lives.

Let me try these questions out on you: Who are you? How do you relate to others?

No comments:

Post a Comment