Friday, December 23, 2011

Giving

There is a rabbinic story about two brothers who loved each other very much and shared the profits from their family partnership equally.

One brother was a bachelor. The other brother had a wife and eight children.

One night after harvest time the bachelor brother thought, "I have only one mouth to feed. My brother has ten people dependent on him. I will take some of my grain and put it in my brother's barn."

The other brother thought, "My brother has no one to care for him when he is old. I will take some of my grain and slip it into his barn."

That night the two brothers went on a mission of mercy. Even though there was not a cloud in the sky it began to rain. It was the tears of the Almighty who was weeping for joy because two of his children had gotten the point that life is not about having. It is about giving.

No comments:

Post a Comment