Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Life is the Trip

I recall a conversation I had with my Mother when she was about 80 years old.

Because I was greatly impressed with the way she and my step-father were living their lives, I said, "I look forward to being an old man."

Quickly Mother responded, "Why?"

I answered, "Because I think I'll be a cool old man."

"No, son," Mother corrected me. "Don't look forward to being old. Learn to enjoy the age you are now."

Mother was trying to focus my thinking on the importance of living in the present moments rather than waiting for some future time to live.

Life is not some future destination we will reach someday. Life is the trip, all of it, including this moment we are sharing right now. Someone has rightly observed that today is not a dress rehearsal. It is life.

No comments:

Post a Comment