Sunday, June 3, 2012

Seven Property Laws

I have four grandchildren who are toddlers. I love my grandchildren, but toddlers are the most self-centered creatures in the universe. After observing my grandchildren for some time I am ready to codify the seven property laws for toddlers:

1. If I like it, it's mine.

2. If it's in my hand, it's mine.

3. If I can take it from you, it's mine.

4. If I had it a little while ago, it's mine.

5. If I am doing something, all the pieces are mine.

6. If it looks just like mine, it's mine.

7. If I think it's mine, it's mine.

Greed and self-centeredness are acceptable for children, but they look ugly on adults. Do you like greedy people? What about selfish, self-centered people? Do you enjoy hanging around them? I doubt it. If none of us like greedy and selfish people, why would we want to be one?

1 comment:

  1. I work with a manchild like that. He is just now maybe forty-four or so. He has been married three times, and now lives with someone. All females should be his toys. Here are two examples of his narcissism :

    One day someone brought doughnuts to work, and there were maybe enough for two for each person, max. When I walked into the break room, he was eating one, had another in his hand, and on the other hand were doughnuts ringed on at least four of his fingers. He wanted to make sure he got plenty for HIM. No telling how many he had already scarfed down.

    Another day, someone had brought some treats due to someone retiring. Not much, really, not even enough for maybe one fourth of the workers. The main tray was a twelve-inch platter of small subway type sandwiches.

    When I went into the break room, there were TWO left on the plate. I took one, and he was eating one already, but had to leave the room. He came back very quickly, and someone had got the other sandwich. He was MAD! "WHERE IS THAT OTHER SANDWICH? THERE WAS ANOTHER ONE HERE A WHILE AGO! I WANTED THAT SANDWICH!" !!!!

    He is always complaining and badmouthing about fellow workers, but he himself is guilty of all that he says.

    ReplyDelete