Saturday, June 25, 2011

Don't get suckered into believing too little

P. T. Barnum of circus fame is often quoted as saying, "There is a sucker born every minute." While we all know what he was talking about – there are some pretty gullible people around - it is sad that Mr. Barnum had such a cynical attitude toward his customers.

 But P. T. Barnum also made an astute observation about faith. He said, "More people are fooled into believing too little than are fooled into believing too much." I think he was right.

 Don’t get suckered into believing too little. I know it is popular to be skeptical, and it sounds intellectual to be doubtful. But don’t let your questions steal from you the wonder and the joy of belief. If you must err, then err on the side of believing too much.

 By nature, I’m a doubter. Belief comes hard for me. But I’ve discovered that doubt locks me up in a dark room. Belief opens the door and turns on the lights.

No comments:

Post a Comment