Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Don't Start Your Kick Too Late

When my youngest son was in middle school, he was a miler. I often accompanied him to track meets. Jared was a pretty good runner. He usually finished in the money.

But I remember a particular morning when he ran and didn’t place. He finished with the pack. We got in the car and started home. There was silence until we got near the house. Finally I asked, "What happened?" "I started my kick too late," he answered. In other words, he didn’t finish with a trophy because he finished with too much in him.

I’ve thought about that conversation many times through the years. One of the things I don’t want to do is start my kick too late and finish with too much in me. I know people who go through life holding back. They live with their foot on the brake. Not me. I want to give life my best shot. When I come to the end of my life, I want to be used up in the service of my mission.

No comments:

Post a Comment