Monday, July 25, 2011

A Good Name

At the close of the Civil War, the General of the Army of Virginia, Robert E. Lee, was one of the most famous people in America. Offers of business, which would have made him a wealthy man, poured in from everywhere. General Lee chose to accept the presidency of the tiny Washington College, later renamed Washington and Lee.

Soon after Lee moved to Lexington, Virginia to assume his position, he was visited by agents of a Chicago Life Insurance Company. They offered him a fantastic salary - $10,000 a year. "And what would be my duties?" General Lee asked. "There are no duties," the guests responded. "We simply wish you use your name."

"Excuse me, sir," came the General's rejoinder. "I cannot consent to receive pay for services I do not render. My name is not for sale."

The Good Book says, "A good name is more precious than silver or gold!"

No comments:

Post a Comment