Friday, July 22, 2011

Wanderlust

When I was a freshman in college, I did not have a car, but I had wanderlust. I was determined to travel the United States on school breaks. So I hitch-hiked.

Here is how I did it. I wore a white shirt, with black pants, sox, shoes, belt, and bow-tie. I am 6 feet 6 inches tall, so I looked pretty weird. I wore a "rat hat" – a small baseball- type hat indicating that I was a freshman in college. And I had a huge poster that said, "Freshman College Student - Take Me Home to My Mommy." I never had to wait long for a ride.

People would look at me, see the sign, laugh, and say, "He can’t be dangerous. Let’s give him a ride."
I am not telling you this story to encourage you to hitch-hike. Times have changed, and it is much more dangerous today than it was forty years ago.

My point is that it is sometimes a mistake to have too much pride. If you are willing to come down to other people’s level, you’ll get along better with folks.

No comments:

Post a Comment