Thursday, July 7, 2011

Nell Part 4

My border collie dog, Nell, is one of my best teachers.

The other day, we were out for a walk. She was running free off her leash when she discovered a dead bird. She gripped it in her teeth as though it was a trophy that she feared losing. The more I said "drop it," the tighter she held on to the carcass. I even tried to pry it out of her mouth.

 It was then that I remembered that I had a few treats in my pocket. When I held out the treats in my hand, Nell dropped the dead bird and grabbed the treats. She dropped what she considered good, so she could receive something better.

We are all like that. If you want to break a bad habit, it is not enough to say "no" to the good. You must also say "yes" to the better. You can’t just stop doing something that is weakening you; you’ve got to choose to do something opposite that strengthens you.

No comments:

Post a Comment