Thursday, February 16, 2012

Faith in Tomorrow

I have lived through a bunch of bad stuff- wars in Korea, Vietnam, Afghanistan, and Iraq; segregation; the birth of new diseases, like AIDS. Based on these and other historical facts, it would be easy for me to say that things are getting worse, that the next generation will have fewer opportunities than our generation has had. From there it is pretty easy to prophesy future disasters. Lots of futurists predict things like nuclear holocaust, world-wide depression, famine and natural disasters due to global warming. But couldn't we just as easily take a positive view and predict a positive future- a cure for cancer, peace in the Middle East, and the Astros winning the World Series. After all, I have also lived to see things that would have once seemed unimaginable: space travel, computer technology, and the fall of the Berlin Wall.

My grandparents taught my parents that tomorrow will be a better day. My parents likewise taught me to anticipate a brighter tomorrow. Why should I not pass along to my children and my children's children the same word of hope? After all, what we believe about the future often determines our destiny. They become self-fulfilling prophesies.

Don't let the negative voices around you steal your faith in tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment