Sunday, February 19, 2012

Outrage

Sometimes outrage is appropriate.

Not long ago I was at a restaurant in another city with two friends. One of these friends was an African American man. We were laughing and having fun when the owner of the eating establishment dropped by our table to visit. My African American friend and I were engrossed in a personal conversation. The third person at our table carried on a brief conversation with the restaurant owner.

After we left the restaurant I found out that the owner had used the "N" word in the presence of our group. Thankfully my African American friend did not hear it. Neither did I. Frankly I wish I had heard him say it. If I had I would have expressed outrage and left the restaurant immediately without paying. As a matter of fact, I am thinking seriously about driving back to the town and having a talk with the restaurant owner.

There ought to be some things in life that are so outrageous that we feel duty-bound to express outrage.

No comments:

Post a Comment