Friday, February 3, 2012

Judgement

The other day I was with a fellow that I have known for ten years. When I first met him I decided that I didn't like him. I wrote him off as a jerk.

Yet, when I was with him the other day I saw him in a new light. I decided I had been wrong. He wasn't a jerk. He was a nice guy.

Had I changed? Had he changed? I guess either of those is possible, but there is a third possibility. Maybe I misjudged him.

Do you realize that your first impression judgments of people can be faulty?

I married a couple the other day who were repulsed by one another when they first met. As they got to know each other further, they discovered attractive things they had missed on first glance.

I've seen it work the other way, too. Sometimes when people fall in love quickly, time helps them to see deal breakers which lie below the surface.

Maybe we would be better off withholding judgment for a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment