Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Wrong

A few years ago I was engaged in discussion with a man about a subject about which I had a good bit of knowledge. He insisted that I was wrong and he was right. He was so sure of his misinformation that he bet me $20 that he was right. Normally I do not bet, but I decided to play along with him. We shook hands on the bet.

I proceeded to prove him wrong. I googled the correct information in his presence. I quickly produced a book to prove my point. None of this convinced him. He protested that all these resources were biased and wrong. Finally in frustration we dropped the discussion and let him keep his $20. How do you convince someone that they are wrong when they view their opinions as infallible?

I bet you know someone just like that man- self-assured and dead wrong.

Someone has said it is not the things you don't know that hurt you in life. It is the things you know for sure that aren't so that hurt you. I wholeheartedly agree.

No comments:

Post a Comment