Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Guilty

Texas once had a Governor named Pat Neff. He served the state from 1921-25. It is said that once a year he would go to one of the prisons to make a speech. Afterwards he would linger to speak with anyone who wanted to make a case for his early release.

One by one they would file by to tell him they were innocent victims of a flawed judicial system. But on one trip to a Texas prison Mr. Neff heard a different story.

The man said, "Governor, I don't want to take up much of your time. I just want you to know that I was guilty of what they convicted me for. But when my debt to society is paid I intend to live an honorable life."

Governor Neff stood up, turned to the prison warden and said, "I hereby commute this man's sentence to the time served. Get this guilty man out of here before he corrupts all these other innocent prisoners!"

Sometimes when you are guilty you are better off to admit it.

No comments:

Post a Comment