Sunday, October 9, 2011

Guiding Principles

Today and tomorrow I'd like to share two guiding principles that have shaped my adult life.
The first principle is that you do not ever have to be afraid of the truth.

I know people who are defensive about their belief systems. They hold to their stated beliefs with tenacity. They refuse to doubt or to question. They avoid people who call their beliefs into question. When information that contradicts their view is presented, they call the sincerity of the presenter into question. They are like children putting fingers in their ears, refusing to listen.

But being afraid of the truth is a dangerous posture.

I'm not afraid of people losing their faith. I'm afraid of people having a faith that is infantile and undeveloped.

Never be afraid of the truth.

No comments:

Post a Comment