Monday, October 10, 2011

Guiding Principles

About fifteen years ago a friend lovingly confronted me with the possibility that maybe I did not believe everything I said I believed. His words pierced my heart. I asked myself, "Could he be right?" After all, I do not want to be afraid of the truth.

Beginning that day I began to revisit my stated belief system. I made two major discoveries.

First, I found out that my friend was right. A lust for certainty had driven me to embrace answers to questions that were not mine. I did not really believe everything I said I believed.

Secondly, I came to the freeing conclusion that I did not have to have an answer to every question.

I am less sure of my positions on controversial issues than I was many years ago. But I feel better about it than I once did, because I’m being more honest.

Hear the good news! You do not have to have an answer to every question.

No comments:

Post a Comment