Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Little League Baseball

Not long ago I witnessed a little league baseball game. The kids were all decked out in beautiful uniforms. They had expensive, name-brand equipment. Parents and grandparents were out in numbers to cheer and support.

The only problem was that most of the kids were not very good. At least I didn't see any of them that looked like future major league prospects.

So why would children with mediocre baseball talent want to play on a baseball team? I meditated on that question for a long time and I think I have the answer. It is the uniform. People who participate on the team get a uniform that they get to keep. And that uniform signifies that they belong, they’re part of the team.

The bottom line is that we all need to know we belong. And after all, better a baseball team than a gang.

No comments:

Post a Comment