Thursday, October 13, 2011

Homes of Famous Persons

One of my favorite activities is to visit the homes of famous persons. Once we visited the Hearst Castle in San Simeon, California. It was built by William Randolph Hearst, who was a publishing magnate from the 1920s - 1940s.

The house is located in a lovely spot overlooking the Pacific Ocean, but it feels gaudy and chaotic. It is a concrete grandiosity. One of the questions I ask when I visit famous houses is, "Were the people who lived here happy?" The answer is usually, "No."

If you have ever seen the classic movie Citizen Kane, you know that William Randolph Hearst was a rich, miserable guy.

When it comes down to it, I'd rather live in a house and have a happy life with my wife and children by my side than to live a lonely, friendless life in a castle.

No comments:

Post a Comment