Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Be Grateful

Some of the most beautiful pearls of wisdom I have picked up through the years have come from check-out clerks.

I was purchasing a book the other day. As I handed the clerk my credit card, I asked, "How's your life?" Somewhat surprised by the question, she answered, "Sometimes it's good; sometimes it's not so good."

My response was immediate: "Well, I hope life is being good to you right now."

Her answer was especially memorable to me. She said, "Life is good right now, but even when it isn't good, it's good. If it were not for the difficult times, we would not appreciate the good times."

What a profound insight. She was right. It is the drought that helps us to appreciate the rain; the long hours of night which increases the joy of morning; the threat of loss that causes us to be grateful for what we have.

There is always a reason to be grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment